What is Hearts & Minds?
Research has demonstrated that people living with severe psychiatric conditions may have an increased risk of heart disease and related conditions. For this reason NAMI has designed the Hearts & Minds program:
- A 13-minute, inspirational video and a 26-page booklet. The purpose of the program is to raise awareness and provide information on: diabetes, diet, exercise, and smoking.
- The program also includes basic information on addictions, recovery, stigma, and treatment. Along with information on diabetes and sleep apnea, Hearts & Minds contains tips for exercise, diet — including a shopping list template, recipes, and a food diary.
All Hearts & Minds Materials Are Now Available Online!
- To view the Hearts & Minds Video, simply click on the image of the DVD. The video will play in a new browser window, and may be downloaded to your computer.
- To view and print PDF files containing all sections of the Hearts & Minds booklet, please visit the Hearts & Minds Booklet page. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. To download the Adobe Acrobat Reader, if you do not have it, please visit the Adobe Web site.
- There is also a Facilitator Guide available which contains additional material and suggestions for facilitating an educational group using the Hearts & Minds materials. Adobe Acrobat reader is also required for this document.
- We are interested in the changes you are making as a result of this program. Once you have made a lifestyle change, please take a few minutes to fill out our Hearts & Minds Survey to let us know of your accomplishments! You’ll return to this web page once you are finished.
Are copies of the booklet and companion video still available by mail?
- Individuals who wish to purchase one copy of the Hearts & Minds booklet and DVD kit for personal use, may do so for $5 at the NAMI Store .
- Individuals and groups wishing to purchase quantities of booklets and DVD format videos for educational use with groups may also do so at the NAMI Store.
NAMI’s Hearts & Minds Program is made possible in part by an unrestricted educational grant from Eli Lilly.