What is NAMI’s Family-to-Family Program?
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 115,000 family members have graduated from this national program
A Spanish outreach video containing moving testimonials about the Spanish Family-to-Family program from teachers, trainers, and family members along with enthusiastic program endorsements from a medical doctor and a psychologist.
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
How can I find a class in my area?
To find out where the NAMI Family to Family programs are currently being offered in Michigan, please contact the NAMI Michigan main office in Lansing at 517-485-4049 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fill out a request to have someone from NAMI Michigan reach out to you on our Contact NAMI page. You can indicate your interest in the NAMI Family to Family Education program on the form.
You can also review a listing of all of the NAMI Michigan affiliates maintained at the national NAMI site.