NAMI Michigan encourages everyone affected by mental illness to stay informed about current policies related to mental health at both the national and state level. We also promote advocacy in many areas, such as education, providing support, and fighting stigma. NAMI advocates can make a difference by helping to change and improve the system for those affected by mental illnesses. NAMI has a board member assigned to public policy and advocacy.
To learn more about the public policy issues that affect persons affected with mental health illnesses and their loved ones, and how NAMI is providing a strong voice on these issues, visit the following sites:
- MHAM: The Mental Health Association in Michigan – Stay informed and up-to-date on critical policy issues in Michigan affecting people with mental illness.
- Please read NAMI’s report: State Mental Health Legislation 2015: Trends, Themes and Effective Practices for more information on what our state is doing to support mental illness. This report highlights the good and bad news in states’ approaches to mental health.
- National Public Policy Issues – Find out more about national public policy issues affecting people with mental illnesses at the national NAMI site.
Michigan Government Links: Connects you to your local government legislature where you will be able to find your representatives in the House and Senate in addition to bills that have been introduced and bills that are being introduced.
- Michigan.gov – The Offical State of Michigan Website
- Michigan Legislature
- Michigan House of Representative
- Michigan Senate
- Find Your Legislator or Governor
How can you advocate for mental illness?
- Become a member of an advocacy group like NAMI.
- Volunteer some of your time
- Keep educated and up to date on mental illness
- Make to advocacy groups like NAMI.
- Participate in mental illness events such as and
- Write your legislator and tell him/her how you feel about mental health issues coming before the legislature.